Literacy and Development through Partnership
Literacy and Development through Partnership (LDP) exists so that children and adults in northern Ghana can learn to read and apply their literacy skills to better their lives. Local trainers from the Dagomba community work together with the public schools in northern Ghana to improve the quality of basic education. LDP works with these Dagomba trainers to provide teacher training in literacy, to develop reading materials, and to advocate for and implement Mother Tongue Based Multilingual Education in schools. Currently, 1,500 in-school-children from 47 rural communities in four districts of northern Ghana are benefiting from LDP’s basic education work. Your support for LDP enables children and adults in the Dagomba community to read and to receive basic education, unlocking opportunities to improve the quality of their lives.
An independent external evaluation in 2014 recognized and affirmed LDP for the effectiveness of their programs, citing these significant results in the communities impacted by LDP’s literacy initiatives and partnerships:
- Improved enrollment and testing results in literacy classes
- Increased formal school enrollment due to changed orientation of the communities towards their children’s formal education
- Substantial contributions to inclusion by working with excluded social and marginalized groups
- Increased inclusion and attention paid to the situations of woman, girls and those with disabilities
- Improvements in various indicators of Sexual and Reproductive Health Rights (SRHR), including improved antenatal care and increased breast-feeding, increased access to medical care for women, and reductions in early pregnancies
- Greater civic engagement and action through community mobilization and sensitization. (e.g., some Literacy graduates became members of local assemblies in their areas; others became key change agents and/or development liaisons for their communities)
Registered in 2005 as an autonomous non-government organization (NGO), LDP started in 1985 under the auspices of Ghana Institute of Linguistics, Literacy & Bible Translation (GILLBT). LDP partners with other Ghanaian educational institutions as a member of the Alliance for Strengthening Education in Ghana (ASEG).
Click here to donate now and select "Literacy and Development - Ghana (LDP)" from the drop-down menu.